Thursday, October 11, 2007

FLASH: Representative Stafford Switches Parties

Representative Debbie Stafford (Arapahoe, Elbert counties) has switched from the Republican to the Democratic Party. She made the announcement at a press conference today. She listed her interests as including mental health treatment, health care, animal protection, foster children and adoption.

She said, "Like many others in Colorado who want to balance the role of government, who want to protect business yet show compassion for those less fortunate, who want to stand up for citizens who have been lost in bureaucracy, I find that I am in the middle of the political spectrum."....Like many others in Colorado, I feel this way:

I am not leaving the Republican Party as much as the Republican Party left me."

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, oh please, don't ever post something from Senator Gordon. I recognize it verbatim due to the bad punctuation.

I would write all the reasons why it is an affront to post from Sen. Gordon, but that could get me in real trouble. Just don't ever do it again.

Now, the real reason the Rep. Stafford switch-up is a big deal is because it changes the balance on committees. Bigger democratic majority, especially on those that aren't already stacked. Very good news.

Anonymous said...

Statement of Speaker Andrew Romanoff
Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Debbie Stafford I know is a woman of deep conviction and profound passion for the people of Colorado. Our state has benefited from her service, and I’m thrilled that now our party will too.

I’ve had the pleasure to work side-by-side with Rep. Stafford for the last seven years. We served together on the Health Committee and the Judiciary Committee. We fought together to tackle problems like mental illness and substance abuse. We even traveled the state together to promote affordable housing.

We came in to the House wearing different uniforms, but we’ve always been on the same team.

They were out of purple and black, but I am proud to present this blue jersey to the 40th member of our majority – from the 40th district of Colorado – Democrat Debbie Stafford.



This is a new season for Colorado. To all those who share our commitment to making this state a better place to live and work and raise a family, let me say this: Our roster is open. Our team is always looking for new recruits. You’re welcome to sign up anytime.
# # #

InfoChef said...

I feel like a chastised kindergartener. So, no more posting from Sen. Gordon, and I'm sure I'll get the rundown on why in person in a few weeks. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry to step over some boundary I was unaware of. It's this kind of secret stuff that makes politics icky and inaccessible to the common person.