Thursday, July 20, 2006

Cool new place to dump your coffee dollars

Know that area of along Speer between Lincoln and Cherry Creek that you'd never think of going to for a night out unless you were planning a big shindig at Boston Market? Well there is now a new destination worth taking note of, SML Coffee. I couldn't quite picture it myself but yes near the Perfect Teeth sign on the south side of the intersection near Washington Street - 702 E. Speer Blvd. Not that I've been there myself but I have the privledge of having a young hip sister to check out the world for me. Free Bird Sis and I noted the place in last Friday's Denver Post where it shared info about free Wednesday movie night at SML. ( Free movies in random parks and odd places seem to be the rage this summer and SML has joined the movement. ) We planned to go together and check out Amelie at SML but the evening was pushing 9 PM and husband not home from work yet, baby sleeping soundly, and the thought of loading car seat up was too much so I called Free Bird Sis and got the report for you all. CreamyCrafter: How is it? Free Bird Sis: Cool, its all about the movie here, coffee counter has shut down already, you have to bring your own lawnchair CC: What is cool about it? FBS: it has garage doors (i.e. "a former drive through bank stylishly transformed into an intimate and airy coffee shop" reported the Denver Post's Ricardo Baca) CC: What is going on with the movie? FBS: It has subtitles but I can't see them over the layers and layers of people. CC: Tons of people there? FBS: Yep CC: What kind of people? FBS: Young hip cool people CC: Cool 35 year old people? FBS: Yes, there are lots of 35 year olds here CC: Where is the movie? FBS: In the parking lot. CC: Where are all the cars? FBS: Some are in the parking lot but lots of people rode bikes, old retro road bikes. CC: How's the coffee? FBS: I didn't get a drink because there was a huge line when I got here. CC: How were the prices? FBS: I don't know. I didn't pay attention. CC: What time do you have to get there to get a drink and a seat where you can see? FBS: I got here at 8:40 and the movie started about 8:45. You'd probably have to get here about 8:15. CC: What is the color scheme inside? FBS: I don't know. I didn't look. CC: How are the bathrooms? FBS: I don't know. I didnt go in there. CC: Okay. Well there you have it. With the resurgance of bicycle riding among Crafters you may want to check this place out on an upcoming Wednesday. Good luck carrying your lawn chair while you ride. Just in parting though here is more from Denver Post: "The room is rarely packed so you don't have to fight for a concrete table to enjoy your chai, newspaper and free wireless Internet. The coffee is roasted by Caffe Vita in Seattle, the service is friendly and the breeze that swings through the shop is pure heaven." I guess he was talking about day time when coffee and tables are available. Movie schedule and chat opportunities at myspace.com/smlcoffee

2 comments:

codown2earth said...

blogging at 4:51 am! now that is dedication.

InfoChef said...

Yeah, welcome CC!
And take not, CD2E...you are up at the same time...I guess the blog is really the modern day substitute for my 'light board' invention, then.