Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Cheese Update

(geesh, this is a slow period in the life of Renegade Crafters. Come on, Crafters, set up an email to post your blogs if logging in is stopping you from bantering....)

I'm a stinky cheese fan. But I guess I wasn't in the mood this week. I assembled a cheese plate on which the mild cheese was Wensleydale, an English cow's milk (anyone a Wallace and Grommit fan from the early shorts?), and not a particularly mild one. Spanish blue Cabrales was selected from the ever-rotating Cheese Monger at Marczyk's based on the mere fact that it was the strongest blue. But even I had to toss the Robiola, a melty washed-rind blend. Past its prime, as I normally am a Robi fan.

And then there is the severe lack of attention to the Mexican cheeses at Belmar WF...not local, not small batch, not even located with the rest of the cheeses. Boo. I had to put feta in my favorite dish ever, MBF Rick Bayless' Sopa Seca de Fideos tonight.

5 comments:

codown2earth said...

If you were in the Belmar WF Cheese section, I hope you picked up some Lemon Stilton. Yummm...

In related news, I have heard that Avanza (which has a wide selection of mexican cheese) on 44th is closing.

rebeckspe said...

Yes, its true! Avanza at 44th & Harlan is closing very very soon (before the end of September)...

Where will we now buy our epazote? Our Cactus Paddles? A tragedy, I say!

InfoChef said...

Ah, but there are more!

http://www.avanzasupermarket.com/

lists S. Federal and I-70/Pecos as alternatives...fresh veggies and lard live on.

rebeckspe said...

I'm a reader who wishes she had time to blog, so I am blogging vicariously....
I've been enjoying Renegade Crafters for a while now. Am I allowed to comment without being on the Blog Team?

InfoChef said...

Oh, please do! Obviously you can see our politics laid open for all to view, cheese or otherwise.

Just wondering; nice to see a new face in the 'hood. And interesting that you've found us. Heck, we're just little ol' country gals here in the city. We're not used to any attention.

See you online!