Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Pedestrian Observations


I have been walking in the afternoon between 4 and 5 (yeah, yeah, yeah- I start my work day by 7am so chill out) and I have had a chance to make some interesting observations...

#1 First of all, what a difference an hour makes. I started walking at 3:00 and there are a lot of high school kids and stroller Moms at that time. And after 5:00 there are lots of dog walkers. 4:00 is optimal if you don't like sharing the sidewalk.

#2 Even drug dealers seem to have a customer service angle these days. There is a car which I watch pull up to all the construction sites for a little afternoon pick me up for the crew.

#3 We wouldn't be able to afford anything in this neighborhood now. I saw a cute little cottage on my walk that looked great for DHP (walking distance from my vodka & soda serving porch, stand alone building, xeriscaped lawn). So I looked it up- 1 bedroom/1 bath, 700-something square feet... $229,000!!! WTF.

#4 People spend a lot of time working on their yards which leads me to...

#5 There are a lot of people not working at a job at 4:00 in the afternoon. How the hell do they pay the mortgage? Even drug dealers are working at this hour.

2 comments:

rebeckspe said...

I've also been walking (around Sloan's Lake) around 1ish. Learned that every Wednesday at Lake Middle School there is "early release".

7th graders *everywhere*.

ChristianLiberalChick said...

Yes, I'm mistyfied at the number of people with non-traditional work hours, but I guess I'd have nothing to do at work if no one could come to my office in the middle of the day...hmmm...