Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Obama Speech

Yesterday I went to my stylist (Cassie) for the bi-monthly coloring and haircut, and she talked to me about the Obama speech on Race & Politics Obama Speech on Race & Politics. At that point I knew I had to watch it. Well, that, and the fact that one of my clients sent it to me and insisted that I watch it.

First, a note for those who don't want to watch all 40 minutes (though you should!). It gets good at 27:53. I started crying at about 33:45. And the last minute was the end of me.

So, the Crafters are split on the Obama/Hillary support. I am, admittedly, in the Hillary Camp. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that, in the end, we are supporting the Democrat. That said, I listened to the speech with an open mind, and thought ... nearly all of the discrimination Obama talks about in this speech could be applied to women the same as he applies it to African Americans. Inability to own property, earn a living for their families, the creation of a welfare state, etc. Black men still earn more than white women when you compare the two on the level of education. I do acknowledged that white women have far more opportunities to higher education than do black men, but still, it is a disturbing statistic.

I digress. I'm struggling. I think Clinton has more experience and a broader world-view. But, now I wonder if Obama has a deeper commitment to the issues. I'm struck by what matters to me more? I just don't know. Cassie has bi-racial children, and she related to me that they watched the speech, didn't understand that discrimination based on race was part of our history, and were excited by the possibility of a president that looks like them. That is really powerful. In the same vein, I'm excited by the possibility that there could be a president that looks like me.

Here's what I know. I'm tired of the politics of divisiveness. I'll try to tone down my own rhetoric.

So, I'm torn. I've already made my decision in Colorado, as I stood for her in the caucus and that was counted. I'm now left to the Democrat or McCain. I'm voting for the Democrat (sorry HotPants!). The Obama speech put me solidly in that camp.

No comments: